A high-tech inverter VRF system will make your home more comfortable and reduce your electric bill by as much as 70 percent! These energy-efficient systems have been used to heat and cool luxury homes and hotels for decades. As is often the case with new technologies, the cost for VRF systems has dropped considerably over the past five years. They are now affordable and pay for themselves in as little as two years!
WHAT IS A VRF SYSTEM?
VRF stands for Variable Refrigerant Flow. A VRF system has one main outdoor condenser unit that serves multiple indoor room units. These are available in many different types from fully concealed with architectural grade grills to wall mounted units. The flow of refrigerant from the compressor is carefully controlled so that each indoor unit receives only what it needs to maintain the perfect temperature in that specific room. The variable-speed outdoor compressor works only as hard as it needs to, which saves energy and money.
The VRF system can maintain different temperatures in different rooms by setting each room’s thermostat. These systems give you ultimate control and save you money. At night, do you like the master bedroom a little cooler than the children’s rooms? Just set the thermostat accordingly. No need to waste money by heating or cooling a rarely-used room. You can keep the unit off in the guest room until you have company.
In addition, a VRF system only outputs what is needed. So, during the day when you are using the living room and the kitchen, you are not paying to cool the bedrooms; at night, you only pay to cool some or all of the bedrooms while the living room and kitchen are turned off. How often do you need to cool the living room, kitchen and all bedrooms at the same time?!
STANDARD CENTRAL AIR SYSTEMS
Central air systems are very inefficient for a few reasons:
(1) With central air, the entire system is either on or off, so even if you are using just one room, you are paying to cool/heat the entire home. This is like using an entire bus to transport two passengers.
(2) Central air systems take a lot of energy to power up and then run at full power till they cool the home. Then, they shut down until the temperature rises again. This fast burst of energy many times an hour is extremely inefficient and expensive.
(3) Temperatures fluctuate widely. You may be too cold while the cool air is blasting, and then, five minutes later, too warm while the system shuts down.
(4) Temperatures around the home are not uniform because there is only one thermostat in a central place. This means that some rooms are too cold while others are too warm — and there is no way to control this.
(5) The air is pumped through many meters of ducts until it reaches each room. “Typical duct systems lose 25 to 40 percent of the heating or cooling energy put out by the central furnace, heat pump or air conditioner” as per the U.S. Department of Energy.
AIR QUALITY Central air systems pull in dust and pollutants through the air-return ducts and end up blowing much of it right back into the home. Take off your grille and look inside with a flashlight. You’ll be sickened by what you see! VRF systems keep the air cleaner than your central air system because there’s no duct work and there’s a filter in each room. The air is kept at a constant, comfortable temperature and contains fewer allergens and pollutants.
WHY VRF PAYS While the initial cost of the VRF system will be higher than replacing your old central air system with a similar one, the amount of money you save on energy will let you recoup the cost difference within two to three years. You can reasonably expect to save 30 to 70 percent on your energy costs with a VRF inverter HVAC system.*
TzviAir is a leading Air Conditioning and Heating company in the Jerusalem area. The precision of their professional work, accompanied by wonderful customer service, has earned them thousands of satisfied clients. They can be reached at 02-628-8282 or through their website www.tzviair.com.