It’s that time of year – renewal, spring, new starts and … Pesach cleaning!!
In that spirit, we offer you the
Egert and Cohen Pesach / Insurance Cleaning Manual
- Simplicity – Like most people do you have “layers” of insurance policies? Some from old places of employment, some from pesky telemarketing salesmen, some from the “Old Country” and even some from Egert and Cohen!
It’s always a good idea to get all the paperwork together and have your agent or financial advisor look over it.
- Pensions/Life Insurance – Through a government website, we can now get all of the pension and life insurance policies from all your previous and current workplaces – very useful. We at Egert and Cohen provide this service for a fee (free for our clients). We will study, advise, and give you a written report.
- Health insurance – This is an area that is full of confusion for most. What does the Kupat Cholim give me (Adif, Sie, Zahav, etc.) and what do the private insurance plans offer? Again, call and check.
(By the way, we at Egert and Cohen are advising all our clients to purchase a basic private health policy, covering operations overseas, transplants and medicine not covered by the Kupah. Cost is reasonable – e.g. approximately 80 NIS a month for a family of three. This fills in the gaps left by the Kupot Cholim coverage.)
- Mortgage insurance – Check with your agent to ensure that you have the best deal here for both life and property coverage.
- Travel insurance – Here I would davka not necessarily go for the cheapest cover! The travel insurance through Kupat Cholim could be the cheapest but if you have a claim, who will deal with it? Who will issue the policy you forgot about as you board the plane? At Egert and Cohen we personally deal with all your claims and our prices are good!
- Motor Insurance – This is probably the most competitive area of insurance in Israel today. It’s certainly worth comparing prices but at the same time think of the following scenario: It’s a rainy Jerusalem night and your car has broken down. Do you have an insurance agent who will answer (politely!) and help you? It might be worth the extra few hundred shekels.
- Claims – In the past month alone, we have had two clients who “lost” expensive diamond rings, were paid out, and then found the rings! (I’m not sure if it’s to do with Pesach cleaning or not.) Please check your own policy’s requirement for expensive rings – usually they have to be worn or in the safe.
- Life Insurance – For all those with US policies, please get in writing from your company that you are covered: a) in Israel; and b) for active and passive warfare (or take out a slightly more expensive Israeli policy).
We wish all of our friends and clients a Chag Kasher VeSameyach!